Focussed

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Pellucid Hawk Moth sucks nectar through its proboscis like a straw. Holding on to the flower with its front legs, it visits each disk floret in turn, while keeping its wings hovering all the time. Its beautiful - if slightly intimidating - eyes ensure full focus on the job. However, it sometimes fail to see a waiting praying mantis. Today the hummer in the second photo later lost a lot of its tail to a mantis, but luckily lived to see another day out. That tongue is also ideal for pollination, as it is so sticky.

Specific Feedback

The first shot (from 4 years ago) is hugely cropped, so is not as sharp or noise-free as I would like. For the second, taken today, I used a Helios vintage lens; the DOF could be better. All comments welcome.

Technical Details

1: D7100 + 105mm macro 1/400 f13 ISO 640
Heavily cropped and run through both Topaz Denoise and Imagenomic Noiseware (which improved on Topaz’s job). Highlights and Curves in PS.
2: D500 + Helios 58mm f2 1/5000 ISO 5000 (f stop not recorded)
Denoise, Shadows and Highlights, reduced Vibrance a little, Smart Sharpen - all in PS

1 Like

Holy cats, Mike. You must have been within a few inches for that second shot! Both are really cool. Both are excellent images and it worked well to put them together. Very nice work.

1 Like

Cool images Mike! The detail on the face and body are excellent, and the background works very well. The eyes are both intimidating and mesmerizing! Well done!

1 Like

Mike, that’s definitely an “in your face” look at this moth in post #1…boy does it look mad at your intrusion… The reflected glow on it’s abdomen from the flower is a neat extra. The noise looks fine to me.

1 Like

Mike, that is an “in your face” look in that first shot. These guys are very fast and they don’t seem to like my company, so very impressive to get these shots.

1 Like

Mike: Wonderful subject and spectacular captures. Most excellent in every way x 2. >=))>

1 Like

Fantastic images, Mike!

1 Like

Thats an attitude look …beautiful work again from you Mike no nits

Balan Vinod

1 Like