Pellucid Hawk Moth

This hummingbird hawk moth (Cephonodes hylas) is quite common in gardens in Korea right now.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/5000 f9 ISO 8000

Topaz Denoise Shadows and Highlights in PS.

2 Likes

Really nice capture of this moth, Mike. They are small, fast and elusive. Good details. It does, indeed look like the sphinx moths we have here, except it’s wings are completely clear, lacking the dark borders our Clearwings sport In fact, it looks a bit more like our Hummingbird Clearwing Moth, a photo of which is in my “portfolio”.

Wow!! Wonderful composition and fantastic detail on the subject! The flower is so well subdued and soft, but provides a gorgeous setting! The very clean BG suits my taste perfectly.

Mike, this is an excellent shot of a very difficult subject to photograph. Excellent details and pose.

Thanks, @terryb . I loved your shots of the HC Moth you mention. I think both it and the one you posted recently belong to the Hemaris genus. We only have one Hemaris, H. affinis, which looks very similar to your Snowberry Clearwing.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind comments @Diane_Miller and @Shirley_Freeman !

1 Like

Mike, this is an excellent look at this Hawk moth. The sharpness of it’s wings and body are great with the background flower adding some fine, subtle color.

1 Like

As others have stated, this is an excellent view of this moth. I like the composition and the choice of colors and setting. Good job!

1 Like