Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went to a local meadow area to chase butterflies and found them to be extremely skittish! However, I got several sittings with Hummingbird Clearwing Moths as they nectared on the thistles. While there was lots of New York Ironweed blooming, the Clearwings rarely visited, preferring the thistles…

Specific Feedback

This is cropped to 73% of full frame. I would prefer to have been closer, but I needed to pick a flower and wait for a Clearwing to visit as they took off if I tried to move closer.

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/1000 s, f/9, iso 800, tripod.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
3 Likes

Lovely, Mark. These guys are more skittish than butterflies it seems. Fantastic shot. The nice smooth BG helps make him stand out nicely. I have only had a few opportunities to point my lens at one of these, and I didn’t come close to getting a shot like this.

Wow, excellent! These guys are nearly impossible to find and catch, and this is great. Nice pose, vibrant colours, bright flower, and complimentary BG.
Not a nit from here!

I gotta agree with @Shirley_Freeman, and @SandyR-B, Great shot. The colors all go so well together. I like the BG with no distractions and just the one flower. I took a close look and there is so much detail in the moth and flower. Does the R5 key in on the bug eyes as well?

Agreed with everyone here, this is a great shot Mark. Nice colors, BG, details, the whole package. I like the blur of the wing, with the clear spot so you can tell the type of moth this is.

Lovely shot, Mark, with super BG and sharpness in the moth where it matters. I’ve recently found that Subject Detection - Birds works very well with these hummers (using the Olympus OM-1). Maybe you tried something similar here, as John wondered above.

@SkipsPics, @Mike_Friel , I have eye detection set for the autofocusing, but it only works if the eye is big enough in the frame. For this subject, that was rare, mostly I focussed on the head.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. nice work, frame and hang!

Mark: My apologies for being so late to comment on this. Great flight shot with a marvelous arrangement of elements in the frame. Top notch in every way. >=))>