Going for the Flower + Repost

Cropped as suggested

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went up town this afternoon with my camera to a yard that had some pretty flowers and I hoped something would pose for me. It did.

Specific Feedback

Does the crop look good? Anything distracting?

Technical Details

Canon R5. Sigma 150-600mm at 435mm, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO (auto) 2000, HH. Edited in LR.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
3 Likes

Amazing! I can’t imagine shooting on of these things in flight! The detail is wonderful, as is the setting! No nits, really, but I’d be tempted to crop a bit from the top and maybe a bit from both sides, to really show off the moth. It looks like you have excellent quality to afford to enlarge the moth.

1 Like

Wow! Shirley. You sure found a great subject and your image does it justice. I’m with @Diane on cropping a bit. I think I’d go below that upper pair of half flowers on the top and at least come in a bit from the right (maybe clear that half hidden out of focus bud).

2 Likes

Shirley, this is such a great, unusual catch of an elusive moth, I agree with cropping in more to showcase it.
Excellent catch!!

1 Like

Nice job catching this moth in flight with really good light and focus Shirley. I like the wing blur that shows how fast their wings beat. I agree with the suggestions for the crop.

1 Like

Thank you @Diane_Miller @Dennis_Plank @SandyR-B and @Ed_Williams for viewing and the suggestion. I kind of thought maybe I should crop more but was trying to show his environment too. I like the crop.

I LOVE the crop!

1 Like

Bravo! on the cropped version, Shirley!

1 Like

Yay for getting out there and enjoying the moment, but applause for your skill in getting this photo. I’ve seen these little guys (and even pulled one out of the water when I was in the kayak when it was trapped on the surface), but I’ve never been able to capture one. Super job and the crop really emphasizes the insect as it should.

2 Likes

Great work on the new crop!

1 Like

I agree that the new crop improves this a lot and now we notice more the curve of blooms leading to the moth. I love how it uses its front legs to assist balance. Super capture, Shirley.

1 Like

Suggestedcrop is perfect. Focus is spot on and colors look good. Freezing the wing motion is tough to pull off without some flash technology. White lined sphinx moths move their wings 41 cycles per second with the velocity changing based on wing position. You may want to try 1/4000sec for brighter conditions to freeze wing position if desired. A very nice shot and like the cropped image as presented…Jim

1 Like

Shirley: Terrific initial capture and the crop makes a fine image even better. Most excellent! :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Shirley, this is an excellent catch, with the sharp throughout and its proboscis extended. There’s still enough “surroundings” in the 2nd version to show off the environment well. BTW, because of the dark line from its eye down to below the wing, this is a Snowberry Clearwing Moth. They also tend to be darker with less red in the wings.

1 Like

Thank you each one, @Diane_Miller @SandyR-B @Kris_Smith @Mark_Seaver @Bill_Fach and @Dennis_Plank for viewing, giving advice on the crop and your wonderful comments. I really appreciate it. Also thank you Jim for info on the wing speed and shutter speed suggestion and Mark for the ID.