Hummingbird Moth

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our son’s milkweed patch is full of bugs, butterflies, beetles, and more. This is the first time I have seen one of these, so it was a real treat. It hovered for at least 10-15 seconds every time it wanted to sip

Specific Feedback

Does the pink on the left detract?

Technical Details

Sony A-1
Lens Model: E 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 @ 180
Exposure Time: 1/2500 sec
F Number: f/16
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 4000
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Center weighted average
Exposure Bias: 0 EV (Zebras)

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I have been looking for one of these for years Sandy. This is a great capture. I think the pink just reflects the milkweed heads and is nicely blurred into the BG. It may even help balance the overall color scheme a bit better. I’m on my cell phone, so can’t be absolutely certain , but the DOF looks good where it needs to be. The colors look realistic and clear. This is a nice shot.

Nice catch on this critter, Sandy. I’ve seen a very few and never had a camera at the time. I shudder when I remember how many tomato hornworms I destroyed growing up that would have turned into something like this.

Since you mentioned the pink, I do find that it tends to draw my eye past the moth a bit. I don’t know if you could bring out a tiny bit of texture in the black sides of the moth or not. I don’t like gray when it should be black, but just a hint of texture would be nice.

Sandy: On the very rare occasions where I’ve seen one of these guys working the light was either too weak or the moth too active. I’m OK with the pink on the edge but if it went away I think the image would be a tiny bit stronger. Great capture of a special moment and subject. >=))>