Snowberry Clearwing Moth

This sphinx moth mimics a bumblebee; in fact, that’s what I thought it was when I first spotted it. Though small even when fully mature, this guy was about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long, and was moving fast! The smallest specimen I’ve ever seen.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom @ 150mm, f/5.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. I also selected only the moth and boosted the light on him just a bit. Cleaned up the edges of the frame with content aware. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Terry, these guys are very fast and difficult to capture. You did a fine job. I am amazed that you used 1/350 shutter speed and got him in stop action. Nice motion of the wings.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I was a little surprised at that slow shutter speed, as well.

1 Like

Wonderful capture! I like the crop, with the detail in the flowers on the left balancing the moth.

It looks like a cross between a hummingbird and a lobster.

Lol @Diane_Miller - might not have the delicate flavour of a lobster! But an apt description. @terryb ,another lovely shot. I’m fascinated by the parallels between some of the insects here in Korea with those in your zone. So I’ll post a similar clearwing moth from our garden, and you will see they are pretty similar, as well as appearing at the same time.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. In fact, when you read descriptions of this moth, they usually state they have a tail like a lobster. When they fan it out, they have a highly functional rudder!

Thanks, @Mike_Friel . Yeah, the more things are different, the more they’re the same, right?