Snowberry Clearwing Moth

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Though they’re commonly described as Hummingbird Moths, I think a more fitting description would be Bumblebee Moth. This rascal was tiny - I’d say about 1-1/2 inches - much smaller than a hummingbird. And at first glance, their coloration somewhat resembles a bumblebee. This one is nectaring on Tall Ironweed in my yard.

Specific Feedback

I didn’t totally stop its wing motion, to intimate its in-flight motion. Do you agree, or would you have used a faster ss to totally stop its wings?

Technical Details

moth

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz Denoise

Terry, these guys are fast like a Hummingbird, so maybe that is the reason why they get that name. Wonderful details of him on these gorgeous flowers. I like they up hill climb that the flowers portray. The wing motion works for me. Under the lighting situation, 1/2000 SS was about all you could eek out I would thing, because your ISO was starting to get on the high side. Everything looks good the way you captured it, in my opinion. I could see maybe crop a little bit off the right side (most of those flowers seem oof), but it is just a suggestion. Fine images as presented.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. You have it exactly right; I felt like I couldn’t go much further with the ss considering how high the ISO was getting. After I posted it I, like you, thought I should have cropped a bit more off the right. Good observations.

1 Like

Very nice capture but I think you could have gone to 500mm to have the subject larger in the frame, and even better with a 1.4X at 700mm. I don’t mind the blurred wingtips, and NR has given you a nice clean image. For me, the tradeoff of a slower aperture and a lower SS is a good compromise. Handholding has difficulties, for sure, and a monopod can help a lot.

I was shooting dragonflies yesterday – mostly on a small tripod for focus stacking – but as I started to hike out I did a few quick shots handheld of a small skipper, at 1000mm, ISO 1600, 1/2000 sec and f/14 (wide open). They were not exceptional and it moved on just as I was getting a clearer view, but small subjects are doable with the compromises of a long lens.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. This critter was so small and so fast I wasn’t sure I could follow it zoomed all the way in! I’ll try it if it returns. I definitely need a monopod, and have one picked out. I just need to get it ordered.