Canvasback Portrait

Nikon D500 and Nikon 200-400. ISO 400 F7.1 1/2000. No crop. Processing in LR and PS. Also Topaz Detail for a slight boost of plumage details. I liked the pose and the side lighting of this colorful male.

Comments and critiques appreciated. Always learning.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really lovely detail in the head and neck, Andrew. You handled the blacks exceptionally well. My only nit is that I think if you’d stopped down a bit you might have gotten the detail in those intricate back patterns as sharp as the head. They’re not really out of focus, but they’re not super sharp either, and I think you could have gotten there. I like the pose and lighting as well.

A very well done image.

Nice job on the exposure and good eye contact. Well done.

Great subject. I love that red eye, and the light is very nice. I’d personally prefer a lower shooting angle, which, in my view, provides for a more intimate photograph. I also think the bird’s details could be better brought out. It looks to me like the RAW file is likely very sharp, but as presented, I think the detail could be better. I’m not sure what your post-processing procedure is, but I don’t sharpen until I resize the photo. After I resize, I select only the bird and sharpen it (all in Photoshop). I think doing so here would greatly improve the image.