Cardiac Canyon + several Redos

Redo 1a

Black and White Crop

Redo2 B&W

Redo 1b

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

iPhone 8 images
I put these images in the abstract category because they do not look like this to the naked eye.
The green is real (not as saturated). The green only shows up after rain it is caused by the lichen which is always there but only visible when watered.

Specific Feedback

Slot Caynon images look different to the camera than they do to humans.
People seem drawn to the neon colors but I like the Black and White.
Should the color in the upper right corner be taken out? I left it in to break up the black, but seeing it here I do not like it.

Technical Details

iPhone 8

I think I like the vertical composition but the black and white treatment? In the color treatment, the JPEG compression artifacts (esp. the upper right) and the graininess or noise (esp. upper left) are distracting. In the black and white treatment those just become part of the texture of the image.

Shazam! I have been to the slot canyons in AZ and they can always be breathtaking. The fact that you caught them after a rain to get the green look, wow. This is a beautiful image!

The b&w crop stands out for me. I think it may be because the light tones were brought up more.

Thanks Everyone
@Igor_Doncov I added a new version with light tones your thoughts?

I’m sorry. I should have added that the cropped b&w is also a stronger composition. The layout and proportions of dark and light areas are better balanced in that one in my opinion.

I’m with Igor. I prefer the black and white versions. The tonal range with the shadows help to reinforce the strong composition.

B&W all the way for me although I have to say that these color versions are different than anything I’ve ever seen from the area so that’s a plus because they are unique but those black and white are powerful, moody, mysterious, and emotionally stronger feeling to me. There is so much tonal contrast in those. You gotta love camera phones.