Chaenomeles (Japanese quince)

Its flower language is “Fairy Brightness“ in Japan. The flower is very small. Around 0.7 inches. My main target of focus-stacking is its pistils. I wanted to depict the soft image of the flower using shallow DOF.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes Focus stacking

Canon EOSRP, Canon Macro 100mm, f2.8

Beautiful colours, Naofumi - and I like the softness very much. The pale oof thing in the LRC pulls my eye there a bit. But I like everything else. I am learning stacking so it would be interesting to know how many shots you stacked here.

Hi Naofumi, this is a beautiful image. And very soft looking as you want it! I really like the background colors too, it compliments the flower nicely.

Naofumi: Beautiful flower and a very nice capture and presentation. I like the BG although I find the red area along the top edge to be a little distracting. Just for fun I cropped this a little tighter and burned down some of the brighter areas. Back to you. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you all for precious comments. As Mike and Bill pointed out right side might be a little distracting.
Mike, I’m a beginner at focus-stacking and not sure how much I should turn focus ring each time. I’m learning by trial and error.

Yes, this stacking is not easy - Diane Miller pointed out that if you have as closed a shutter as possible you have more room to move the focus ring when stacking. So that’s my next step. I think here you caught the softness so well that it doesn’t matter if the stacking wasn’t very precise. I try it if I want everything very sharp. Good luck with the learning!

Naofumi, there’s a fine gentleness in this view. The sharp parts of the flower look good and the background colors add to the feeling of warmth. I could see having the flower a bit lower and further left in the frame (assuming that there are no distractions above and right…). That would add to the strong diagonal eye movement. I do think that a bit of burning in of the brightest bits in the background would better emphasize the flower. In looking at the large view, I see some things that suggest that you either needed more depth-of-field (dof) or a finer touch on the focusing ring. I’ve attached a crop that shows how one petal edge goes from sharp to soft and back a couple of times, this is what I’d expect if your focus adjustments that are larger that the aperture setting of the lens.