Circle of Life

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a macro shot taken in our local botanical garden. I liked the spiraling circular pattern and I tried to use limited depth of field to suggest a pattern continuing on.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

Taken with a tripod mounted Sony A7riv and a Sigma 105 mm macro lens at f/5.
Processed in Lightroom. The conversion to monochrome was pretty straightforward because the RGB image is basically monochrome green. The leaves at the top were somewhat brighter than those below, and I enhanced this in the processing

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Fantastic pattern and lines you found here Will. Black & white was definitely the treatment of choice to enhance this experience. The f5 worked too, allowing the inner spiral to fade into its blur, so my eye is comfortable landing on the lighter leaves and lingering there. Detail where it’s important, a natural blur where it’s needed. Wow. Can’t see a think I would change!

Stunning! A fascinating Escher-like pattern and you got the plane of focus just right. The center leaves stand out beautifully!

Will, I agree that the spiral patter looks great. The brighter triangle of leaves near the top center makes a good focal point. I do wonder if a slight dodging of the leaves around the inner circle would strengthen to the spiral feeling.

Will, this image has strong impact and I love the conversion to black and white! I also like those brighter tones of the leaves as a focal point for the eye. I am amazed you got as much sharp as you did at f5, good for you!

Really like how you let the light do much of the talking here Will. And the soft focus interior of the fern behind the subject is great. Plus you resisted the temptation (I would be tempted) to pop the contrast more. I have a good fern area in the nearby mountains and I tend to shoot it for maximum depth of field. With this lesson, I’m going to open up and see what happens. All the more important when everything in the frame is structurally the same. Might even put on an ND filter and see what the breezes will yield.

Thank you all for your comments.
@Mark_Seaver I’ll play around with some additional tonal manipulation as you suggested.

Really Nice image !!! Works great in black and white. I love how you framed and gave the depth of field a soft background. that really brought my eyes to the circular movement in the lines and leaves.