Closeup of blueberries - REVISED

What technical feedback would you like if any? I tried darkening the light areas of the background a couple different ways. I had most success with Phillip Ziegler’s QBQ Technique in Photoshop, but sometimes it did not work for me. More to learn on that front. Thanks to all for the great suggestions! Ann Louise

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Overall appeal, cropping

Pertinent technical details or techniques: macro lens, 60mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ann Louise, this is an excellent shot of one of my most favorite fruits. The details in the berries is outstanding. I love the variation of colors and sizes, indicating the various stages of growth. You have a fairly good background, except for the few spots that are much brighter than the rest. I think if it was my image, I would try to tone those areas down some to keep them from pulling the eye away from the delicious subject. It helps if you can provide your settings you used to capture your images. The square composition is perfect for the subject. Really impressive shot. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Again, welcome to NPN.

I agree with @Shirley_Freeman, Ann Louise, this is a gorgeous photo, but would be interested to know your settings and type of camera you’re using. Really nice capture.

Ann Louise: Welcome to NPN in general and to the Macro Gallery in particular. This is a really fine image of an overlooked subject. I think the square crop works very well and the texture in the berries is marvelous. Really good DOF control as well. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thank you Shirley for your great critique. Your comments are very helpful. I took the photo with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. The lens is an Olympus 60mm macro lens. ISO 64, f/5.0, 1/30 sec.

Thank you to all other members who commented on my photo! What a nice welcome. Still figuring out procedures…

You are welcome, Ann Louise. Thank you for the settings and type of camera. I am amazed at the DOF that camera and lens gives you at f5. The details in all of the blueberries are amazing. I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work.

I forgot to mention that I focus stacked a series of images to get the detail. I will try to include more info in the future.

Okay, that explains it. I should have thought to ask that, but I haven’t been doing stacking yet myself, so just don’t think of it. You did a really great job.

Ann Louise, this is a great look at these blueberries. The details in the berries and the variation in color (ripeness) adds a lot of interest. I too was wondering about the dof with your stacking making the how, clear. The brightest parts in the background could use a bit of burning-in, but that’s a minor detail in a fine photo. Welcome to Macro, what a fine introductory image.

I agree with those above conveying the well composed scene. Great light with softness, but directionality. Nice focus-stacking work.

I am new to macro work, but in a background, I try to de-emphasize the 3 major characteristics that draw our eyes to subjects (light contrast/color saturation/sharpness).

So, while I agree with toning down the brightness of the highlights perhaps slightly, I am more drawn to the relative sharpness of the edge of the leaf on the left side. So, I would be tempted to blur the leaf on the left side of the image a bit as the edge competes with my attention a bit. My only other comment would be to consider lifting the shadows a wee bit more to decrease the contrast of the out-of-focus background. Like I said before, the absolute luminance of the bacground doesn’t affect me as much as the contrast (thus lifting shadows may help?), and the relative sharpness of the leaf on the left. Sorry if i’m being too analytical, but it’s how my brain works! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like