Closing in

We have these small insects that look like a mosquito but they are harmless. So I got close to one of them. I used a 90D 180 macro 1/250 f/20 iso 500. Used a flash double diffused. Even at this speed was hard to shoot so since he wanted to be photographed I got the tripod. Not at 1:1 because I did want to get both wings. Could not get sharp focus on foreground wing. Maybe just too close and DOF too tight. I did take some that blur both wings (f/11) but I liked this one. I did a light high pass in Photoshop only on the main body. Comments welcome, would a little more contrast on the dark and light part of the tail behind the wings help?

Dean, I am not familiar with this little guy, but he does remind you of a mosquito, but I would image that he is a good bit larger. Nice detail in his eyes and body. I think the contrast is good, but it is something that I try sometimes just to see if it helps draw the eye where I want it to be. Yes, you may have got a bit too close as it feels a bit crowded near his face especially, but could use room all the way around him. When it is a small insect, I find myself trying to get in really close to get the details, and can be cutting off their legs, wings, etc. I think maybe calming the brighter yellow in the background would help. You captured really nice details in him.

Hi Dean,

This is a crane fly (Tipulidae). The larvae are known as mousie grubs and are often used for ice-fishing bait. You used an unconventional composition, but it works. The light spot in the BG heelps draw the eye up to the head of the cranefly. Well done…Jim

Nice crane fly. One thing you could try with respect to the left facing wing would be to copy the right facing wing, reverse it, and warp it with Photoshop to blend in with the in focus portion of the left wing. Might take some time but I think you could do it.

Dean: Nicely composed and lit. A touch more room would suit me a bit better but this works well as is. Well done. >=))>

Dean, you’ve got outstanding details in the body and head of this crane fly. The brightness and contrast look great throughout. Something that I think about when I get a close encounter like this is, “What do I want to show?” Should I go for a portrait, with the entire subject filling the frame or do I want to emphasize some particular aspect. In this case, where it seems like you wanted to emphasize the details in the body, I’d suggest rotating the camera so that the body extends the most of the length of the frame. Those antennae are very striking, so a head and thorax shot could look good (larger than 1:1, your 90D will let you get to 1.6:1, due to it’s crop factor) although dof would be a big challenge.

Gorgeous shot, Dean. Love insects that sit still for you. Pretty sharp throughout and that one wing doesn’t bother me much. Looks like tiny bubbles trailing him? I can’t id many insects but this one reminded me of “damsel fly”.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Jim_Zablotny, @David_Schoen, @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, @Jim_Lockhart , The detail came out well and I agree a little more room is a better approach. They are still around so I will take some more photos.