Cloudy day

I spotted this Great Blue Heron cruising down the Back River in Old Lyme, Ct on Aug. 9, at 8:35 AM and managed to a couple frames off before the Heron was out of reach. The shot was taken from the Zodiac.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm, f7.1, 600mm, 1/2000, -.3EV, ISO 3200. The shot was cropped by 60% and I adjusted the highlights, midtowns, shadows and saturation in DXO Photo Lab 5.

1 Like

I like the colors in this. Superb contrast between the Heron and the green toned environment. Excellent detail. Perhaps you could lighten up the wing closest to the viewer. Well composed.

Hi David
Thank you for the comment.
This is a repost with the left wind a litter lighter.
Peter

Hi Peter,

I like the original slightly over the repost. The higher contrast in the wing does something for me. Well done…Jim

Excellent capture, Peter. I like the processing in both, but slightly prefer the original. Either way, nicely done.

I’ll vote for the original post too, Peter. That bit of contrast works quite well to give it a bit of depth. Nice image with the right amount of depth to get the bird in focus while keeping the background softly out of focus. Nice!

Hi David s., Jim, Terry, David B.
Thank you for your comments. You know that saying “I think I can make it better”, followed by hum.
Peter
Ps
David Bostock
God set the" image with the right amount of depth to get the bird in focus while keeping the background softly out of focus", I was just there to take the photograph. This all happen in around 10 seconds.

1 Like

Nice one, Peter. It’s unusual for a bird flying slightly away to work well, but this one certainly does. Well done.

Very nice! Sharp, well-detailed bird and lovely BG. The IQ with the high ISO and crop are a tribute to that camera – and your processing skills.

Maybe God also favors the prepared…