Cold Feet

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Thoughts on color and tonality?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition. I passed over this image at first, but for some reason it struck later, so I’m trying to figure out why. Then I saw this week’s challenge and thought, What better way to help me get to the bottom of it (including the likely good reasons I passed it over initially)?!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A7Rii | 25mm | 0.5 sec | f9 | ISO100 | variable ND/polarizer combo filter | tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Josh, welcome to NPN. This is a fine “beautiful day in the neighborhood” view with the rushing creek, mostly blue sky and high cliff. Yes, getting into the creek often means pictures that others can’t get. I like that the creek fills the frame at the bottom. I think this view works well as an enjoyable memory image, but lacks a bit from the story telling point of view. My thoughts center around which of the several elements in this view do you want to emphasize. First, cropping from the left to a vertical letting the tall pine frame the view would create a good sense of you’re following the creek on an exploration , especially if you could move a bit to see more of the distant peak between the trees. Second, this view under early or late day lighting, would have much more of a 3D feeling as the shadows would separate the different elements. Third (and it looks impossible), would be a view from higher up, letting the creek fill the frame as it heads into the distance. You might also be able to pull off the third idea by pointing the camera down and zooming in, to avoid or minimize sky in the image.

1 Like

Thank you! This is all great feedback and it’s somewhere I can get back to, so will try it out. Thanks for sharing!

Josh: Not much to add to Mark’s comments but let me also welcome you to NPN. This is a great place to learn and to participate. I do like this scene and since you can get back to it I’m looking forward to more of your work. Great to have you aboard and keep the posts coming. >=))>

1 Like

Excellent first post, Josh! I personally like your choice of composition and feel that it’s well balanced. The large version is particularly nice since it has a better sense of presence with more details to look at. The exposure is perfect and everything is in focus. I like that you have a little bit of everything in the photo (sky, mountains, trees, shrubs, water and rocks). Lots to look at and a very pleasing scene!

1 Like