Colored lights

Here’s an after and before look at the diffractive colors that can sometimes be seen in spider webs. The spider, in this case, is an Orchard Orb Weaver and around here, their webs are the best for showing colors like those seen here. To get the background mostly dark, took 4 rounds of burning and dodging using luminosity masks. Between each round, I reran my luminosity mask calculator, that way, the previous changes in luminosity were preserved. The new masks make it easier to continue to push the luminosity changes in the next round of burning and dodging.

1 Like

Spider webs are so cool even without color, and this one certainly grabs the eye. Very interesting processing. I like the kaleidoscope of colors and the intricacy of the web. Well captured.

Mark …Taken it to the next level !!!

Balan Vinod

These are amazing Mark. The colors and detail are great. Just one question; what does it mean when you said “reran my luminosity mask calculator?” I’ve been working/practicing with luminosity masks and like the subtle changes I can make, but don’t know about a “calculator?” Thanks.

Spectacular result, and informative lesson. I had no idea those spectral colors were available in a spider web.

Oh wow, Mark, this is way too cool. Love the colors you picked up in this web.

Linda, that’s just a way of saying, delete the original masks and create a new set that includes the luminosity changes already made. This helps to separate parts that started out very similar in brightness.

1 Like

Beautifully done. I never knew webs contained those colors. Good job on the dark background. It really makes the colors pop.