Web Frequencies

I was photographing spider webs during my morning walk several days ago. When I downloaded the images, I was very surprised to find a couple of these.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is always welcome.

Technical Details

3 Likes

What a pleasant surprise. The colors in vertical parts of the web are quite striking. I like the graphical nature of this image.

I really like that one Chris. I had no idea that spiderweb could do that. I like how you’ve composed the image as well.

Oh so very cool. I’ve never captured this either on purpose or accidentally so I share your wonder and surprise at it. Super. You could crop tighter to have both strands go out of the frame together or clone in a bit more of the blue strand so it makes it to the edge. Just things to play with on an already strong photo.

Chris, I’ve been shooting this phenomenon for 7 or 8 years (e.g. here) and there are at least two other NPN members who do this on occasion. The saturation of the diffractive colors depends on the species of spider and strongly on the angle between the camera, web and sun. You did well here with those two streaks of strongly saturated colors. (The spider species matters because the strength and brilliance of this effect depends on the diameter of the silk strands.)

1 Like

@DeanRoyer @Cameron_Wilcox
Thanks for your comments.

Mark - This is really interesting information. I had no idea.

Kristin - Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris, this is really eye candy for me. Love the colors you captured here. That is very interesting info that @Mark_Seaver shared.

That’s quite a unique surprise, Chris! It’s kind of like a rainbow on a string except that the sequence of colors don’t seem to necessarily happen in order according to the spectrum like a rainbow does. Probably because of the varying size of the water droplets combined with the angle of the light.

@Gary_Minish @Shirley_Freeman Thank you for your comments.

1 Like

A unique look at a commonly photographed subject. The color spectrum is wonderful!