Colorful tree

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A tree I found in Louisiana, don’t know what type, and was taken by the bright color. I cropped it tight just leaving enough room on the edges so it is recognizable as a tree. I printed it as a 12"x18" on glossy paper and the shine really makes the colors pop.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6, F11, 0.13 sec (Manual) ISO 100, 70mm

1 Like

Very cool, Gary. I love the colors and textures in this tree. Just a suggestion, but for an abstract, you might think about cropping it even more so it’s not recognizable as a tree (at least immediately). This does look like it would print well on glossy-you might want to try a metallic paper and see how that looks too.

Hi Gary,

I’m no botanist, but could that be a chinese elm? They grow in Louisiana and they can have yellow bark like this. The other colors in your image suggest that the yellow bark is realistic, true color. Very interesting and beautiful.

Hi Garry,
what an interesting tree. I have never seen such a bark. But it offers really great colors and textures.

I agree with @Dennis_Plank about a tighter crop.

Nice find Gary! I agree with Dennis and Jens about cropping in tighter if you wanted this to be more abstract. There is so much texture in the tree bark that this would make a nice print on a textured matte paper.

Garry,

Great find and wow, what fascinating tree! Even not being there, I can only imagine the colors, textures and details. Very cool!

I totally understand and from a context point of view, why you would want to include the space on the edges. But also agree with the others that for a much more abstract look, removing any reference to reality would make this a stronger abstract. Of course like anything else, and any other feedback, it’s all relative as to what you’re trying to convey. Nature abtract? tighter crop. At least thats me. But for good study of the tree in context and environment, then for sure you might want more of the surrounding scene. User’s choice of course.

Regardless, a wild and wonderful find and capture.

Lon