Common Kingfisher

This guy (females have a red lower mandible) was, as always, scouting for fish. Cormorants in the lake were doing well, but our friend here wasn’t catching anything, so he soon moved on. Our subspecies in Korea is smaller and brighter than the one in Europe. It is common and so beautiful. It is very good at hiding in plain sight, as here.

Specific Feedback Requested

He was close to me, but below a path wall, and the wall’s shade meant I had to use a high ISO as I leant over. I was pleased that the detail came out. All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D500 + 150-600mm (@600mm) 1/800 f8 ISO 3200 Hand-held

Cropped a bit from the top. Applied Denoise, and raised exposure and shadows in PS.

3 Likes

Wow, what a beauty! It’s detail and color is perfectly complemented by the soft background

1 Like

Beautiful, Mike. This is a wonderful composition considering you had to lean over a wall to get the shot. The angles of the tree limbs worked out quite well and the OOF background highlights this little fellow very nicely. Great capture.

1 Like

Nicely composed. Excellent detail and color. Good job on processing the background.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I really like the details and the pose of this Kingfisher.
They are an extraordinarily interesting bird because of the large and stout looking beak along with their stubby tail feathers.

The colors stand out well against that soft and muted BG.

Very nice Kingfisher image, Mike! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Works well Mike. Processing looks fine. Nice work with what sounds like a challenging location/environment.