Confused seas

Area along the beach in Playa Potrero has great bottom effects with the incoming & outgoing tides. Outgoing waves crash into incoming waves; wave combine and go sideways, and then there is a 4 way circular effects, just to name a few…

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 Nikon PF 500mm. 1/640 sec, F11.0 ISO 220 500mm
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A very cool breaking wave abstract, EJ. It’s easy to get lost trying to trace all the paths the water is taking.

1 Like

EJ: Great timing and a delightful image. I can sit and watch waves for hours and never get bored. Top notch. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Hi EJ, congratulations on your retirement and thank you for serving such a long time. (I did 4 years in the Navy way back in the 60s). Having done a couple of Atlantic crossings I have seen some confused seas but I like the way you captured this scene on a smaller scale, freezing the wave action and spray in mid air. As a kayaker I’m wondering what created this disturbance…opposing currents? Or do I detect some rocks just below the surface? The background looks to be a lot calmer too. Would love to know where this was shot. Nice catch of some angry water!

Shot from the beach @ 100m from my house in Playa Potrero, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
The estuary deposits a bit a sand close to this area, and the bath-tub effect of the steep beach incline makes the waves do a 3 to 4 way collision based on the timing of the waves. Absolutely fascinating to watch, and the colors are amazing depending on the time of day and clarity of water.

EJ, the big loop of splash is a great catch. I’m loving the details in the splash and how it’s running in a loop. There are also lots of fine reflection bits in the foreground.

1 Like

Great timing on this shot, Ej! It clearly shows the multidirection impact of the various waves. The stop action provides lots of nice detail also.