Costa Rica bird photography tour suggestions?

Hey all,

I am considering a Costa Rica bird photography trip early next year. Looking for recommendations on tour groups/guides.

Has anyone been on a Backcountry Journeys workshop?
https://backcountryjourneys.com/destinations/Costa-Rica/Wildlife-of-Costa-Rica-Photo-Workshop

Hi, David - Take a look at Nate Chappell’s Trogon Photo Tours. You might remember Nate from the years he was the Avian moderator here.

I’ve been going on tours with them for almost 20 years and can’t say enough positive things. My Costa Rica trip with them in 2023 was spectacular and we all came away with hundreds of exceptional shots. I just returned from the Pantanal for 3 weeks with them, and it was even more spectacular.

Feel free to PM me for additional info.

If you don’t care for groups, I can heartily recommend Green Trogon Expeditions. It’s a one man show currently. Helmut Guth is the guide and he’ll tailor it any way you like. He is a local, but speaks superb english and german. My trip last year for 16 days was 10k plus airfare, etc and it was just Helmut and I. With two people the per person rate is almost exactly the same as a tour with 5 or 6 photographers. Greentrogon.com

Helmut was our guide for Trogon, too, and he is a great guy and superb birder and photographer.

@SandyR-B and @Dennis_Plank thanks for the great tips. I’ll be looking into both of these.

Regards,
David