Crabronid Wasp on Milkweed - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

East of Joshua Tree NP, North of Desert Center, CA. 110 degrees at 11 am. Collecting velvet ants with my son Dr. Williams. I finally got one to sit still long enough to focus on it!

Technical Details

Canon 5D Miii, f16, 1/200 sec, iso 400, 100 mm macro lens, 370 mm from subject, flash compulsory

What a pretty little creature with those red legs and sassy stripes. The eye looks pretty cool. Wish you were more on a level with it, but I understand the unpredictability of insects so good job getting this. You could crop out the bright area to the left and tone down the whites/highlights to the right so that those areas are competing with the wasp for attention.

A very nice job on the wasp, Ed. I agree with @Kris_Smith suggestion on cropping the left and toning down the right. That bright leaf end on the left is particularly distracting.

Thank you @Kris_Smith and @Dennis_Plank. I’d submitted this to BugGuide for an ID, and they did almost exactly what you suggested, only with a tighter crop. https://bugguide.net/node/view/2337752

Nice job on the repost, Ed.

1 Like

Agreed, the second version is much better and keeps us looking at those lovely stripes!

1 Like

Agree that the repost is a good improvement. I rather like the angle you chose as it shows us the interesting eye plus the structure of the wings. Nice, Ed!

1 Like

Ed: Really good work on the repost and a fine capture of this guy. I don’t care much for wasps but this one is a very worthy subject. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Repost looks good for this wasp. Depth of field looks good and the simple crop improved the comp nicely…Jim

1 Like

Thank you everybody!