Scoliid Wasp on Mesquite

Unedited jpeg file

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken near Barstow, CA in the Mojave Desert. You may ask why any sane person would be out in the middle of the day, in the middle of the Mojave Desert, in early July, in hundred ten plus temperatures. Don’t ask! You may not get a good answer . . . OK, I blame this stuff on my entomologist son who studies these little fiends. This is a near relative of his favorite group, the velvet ants.
As you can see it was bright, sunlight conditions, the wasp was in deep shade under the very bright mesquite catkin. How do you tone down the almost blown hots spots while bringing up the wasp in the deep shade. The magic of photoshop, dial the highlights and whites way back, the shadows way up, then work on levels and tones, and brightness, etc. until you get something that represents what the critter actually looks like. By the way, these do have a nasty sting, somewhere between a honeybee or yellow jacket and a tarantula hawk or velvet ant.

Specific Feedback

I cropped out some of the foliage on the left and bottom due to my OCD rule of thirds thing, and to put the bright red abdomen right smack in the middle of the frame. Thanks for any comments, observations or recommendations.

Technical Details

Canon 60D, iso 400, f11, 1/250 sec, -1 exp bias, 100 mm macro lens, with flash.

This is about processing, and you’ve done an excellent job here. For many insects we have no choice but to go out in the heat of the midday sun. Two small things I might do: reduce the blue of the sky a bit and shift the crop a little to the left and downwards, as that wing is close to the edge and I like the flowers on the left. You did a very good job bringing out the details in the black body and it’s a fascinating wasp. Well done.

Thank you @Mike_Friel those are great recommendations that I will work on when I get a chance. You really have a good sense when it comes to working with colors and BGs. I will work on it and probably repost in the macro forum some day.