Crested Butte

Exploring Kebler Pass prior to starting a workshop here.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
70 mm f/11 125 sec iso 150 focus stacked

1 Like

So much detail here, Mario. I love the colors and the composition. Is this current? I think this is about the time that Colorado Aspens get their peak colors. Nicely done, sir. I really like this a lot.

1 Like

David, yes I am out here now!

1 Like

Beautiful shot Mario, great composition and colors. I think if it was me i would cool down the overall image and increase the whites but that is personal taste. As is its beautiful.

2 Likes

A beautiful scene, well shot. Great detail and a sunset/rise to die for.

I like Blake’s suggestion, but the image is great as is.

When I opened it to see the bigger version I noticed a tiny, wee white spot in the lower middle. I might consider removing it. It’s hardly worth mentioning, but now I’ve seen it, I can’t unsee it.

1 Like

I would add a little more contrast to the mountain and remove the yellow tree at the very bottom. Didn’t think you did grand landscapes. I know what you’re after here.

1 Like

Beautiful! The light on the trees is awesome making the yellow ones stand out. And the sky is so dramatic, I’m thinking from your slow shutter speed. And I love how the beautiful brown mountain cliffs are being framed by all the color. Really nice composition.

1 Like

I took a little bit of Blake and Igor’s suggestions and added some brightness and contrast to the Butte, lightened the trail of yellow Aspens that lead the eye toward the butte, and got rid of the little aspen at bottom right. When I first looked at the scene, my eye did follow the Aspens up to the butte, but once there was fairly underwhelmed. Everybody’s eye is different, so, as with everyone else, I offer my edit as another possibility and not as the next gospel in an editing Bible.

1 Like

Colorado is beautiful in the fall. I’m headed there in a couple of days to spend a week in southwestern Colorado. I grew up there and know the area really well. Kebler pass is stunning and I think you have a nice image. I believe the image had a strong warm cast that doesn’t help the image. I did some basic color balancing in PS and adjusted tones and came up with this version.

1 Like

Wow, Mario! Amazing all the different ways that everyone is coming through and processing your image! I personally like yours the best and I also like @Igor_Doncov because they both keep it looking warm. It just seems like with the yellow trees and the brown mountain warm colors look more natural. Just my little opinion…

1 Like

Mario, That is a beautiful scene and a great composition. I like your post as it is with the warm tones and a very inviting feel. What a beautiful place!

Very nice Mario. I’m excited to start seeing fall images! The composition is very nice and balanced. I like the distribution of yellows, greens and dark greens throughout the image.

I agree with others that have said the image could be cooled down a little. I will add that the sky feels unnaturally dark to me.

Looking forward to seeing more of your workshop images. Enjoy the trip!

One of my favorite spots in Colorado, I love Keblar Pass Road.

I like the composition in the foreground and the mid-ground, but would have liked to see slightly more breathing room above the mountain, it feels slighlty cramped to me (and you have to gorgeous sky to put in the added space.

In terms of the processing of the original, I agree with the others comments about it being too warm for my taste, and the upper corners being too vignetted (dark). In terms of color I like the purer whites and better yellow vs. green color separation in the rework by @Chris_Calohan . As you know color is purely a matter of personal taste, mine leand more to what Chris has done (but then I tend to like cooler images in general).

1 Like

Nice picture! Looks like the fall color has not peaked yet … I will be heading there this weekend (10/2), hope the leaf is still at its peak …

THanks all for comments and reworks @Igor_Doncov @David_Bostock @Vanessa_Hill @Chris_Calohan @Keith_Bauer @glennie @Ed_McGuirk @john8 @Craig_Moreau @Nick_Bristol