Cubbyhole Mud Shards + Repost

I found this small scene down a wash in Utah. The hole is about a foot wide and I had some nice light bouncing in from the wall behind me.

D850, 70-200mm

Repost

Original

1 Like

It almost looks like an ancient shine with offering plates. The bounced light is just perfect. Were the shadows really that blue? It’s artistic, but shadows can do this to us. Great find and what an interesting formation, too. I assume the same water that made the mud, made the hole, albeit probably over a lot longer period of time.

The shadows look blue in the raw file. I had to go back and look. They look flatter there, of course, as all things do in a raw file (and maybe even more so in a D850 from what I have seen).

Excellent and very unique subject here, Harley. I like it a lot.
Only thought for change for me as an optional look is to clone or CA fill the left side hole and the small embedded debris in that area. They have a bit of eye draw. No nit, just another look as an option… :+1:

1 Like

I will reduce the blue but this is a great image, Harley. I will also burn the LRC and LLC corners a little bit and clone out that hole near the left edge of the frame but seriously, I would love to have shot this myself.

This is an absolute gem – I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m in agreement with @Paul_Breitkreuz about the small hole.

This is so cool Harley…only in Utah, ha ha! Your timing was great as the little cave is well lit. The pieces inside remind me of an egg shell…whoa, that was one big baby bird :laughing:.

Thanks for the comments and valuable suggestions, @Diane_Miller , @Jim_Lockhart , @Jim_Lockhart , @Adhika_Lie , @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Kris_Smith. I made the left hole disappear along with the jag and did a real slight vignette to the lower corners and reposted. Much appreciated on your thoughts!

Re-post is spot on, Harley… :+1: :+1:

Harley, this is a neat find, well presented. The lack of size information is a nice piece. The internal glow makes the interior nicely inviting. The blue shadows look very natural to me (reflected sky). While we humans do compensate for color shifts when the lighting is uniform, when it’s not (like here) we see the color changes from the reflected light. While the repost is notably “cleaner”, the bits in the upper left are quite natural, fit the scene and do have geological significance. The bit of burning-in in the lrc lets that area show more texture.

Harley: The repost looks really good to me but the original is pretty darn nice as is. I like the lack of scale as well. Nice find and a great capture. >=))>