Daffodil in morning light

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the side view of the flower slightly dancing in the on again off again wind capturing during the imbetwee with just enought ruffle of the pedals. I hope I was able to capture the complete whites with texture. I am always looking to improve my technical aspects in photography so please give me any technical advise, it is very much appreciated.

Creative direction

elegance of the delicate pedals after the breeze, yet capturing the full visual of what a daffodil looks like, the unique quality of the white daffodil

Specific Feedback

such as exposure - I did play around with the exposure
color, white is alway hard so in photoshop I used highlights and shadows to get detail
focus, I did focus on the center yellow of the flower

Technical Details

Nikon D500
Nikon Lens 70-500 mm F4/5
ISO 280
F11
1/500
Manual

Description

Early morning new blooms of daffodils spotted these unique white ones and the sun was just right and the angle was different with a light wind stopping and going catching it at a unique angle.

Really lovely - the angle sets off the petals as well as the trumpet really nicely. Your focus point looks good and there is sharpness throughout, but there is still texture to be seen - nice job! The ruffled bits at the edges of the trumpet are picked out so well. And the slight color changes are nice to see - not just solid white. The background, eh - I’d like it blurrier. You could do this in Photoshop with masking and a blur tool or in the field you could take one photo for the flower with a higher aperture and another with a wider so the bg would be less in focus. Also there is a bright spot just behind the leading part of the blossom that could be cloned out or if you moved slightly it might have been covered by the flower itself. I’m of two minds about the leaf on the left - I think you need it there for some balance because a flower on a single stalk can be a bit cliched, but it would be better if there were two of them. LOL, now if we only had magic wands available at B&H!