Dandelion Puff

AS I was walking by looking for birds I noticed this nice dandelion puff. The green fg grass was complimented by a mossy log in the bg and looked like a photo opportunity.

I hope I am in correct forum.
5D4, 700mm, f/8, 1/1250, ISO 800
I cropped full frame vertical from a horizontal.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

David, I was just trying to shoot an image of a Dandelion puff just a couple days ago, but must admit, you did a much better job of it. I like the oof grass in front. As for posting, it probably would fit better in the Flora category than Macro, although this is definitely a macro/closeup type of image, but I think the subject makes it more of the Flora. Your choice. If you wish me to move it, I certainly can do that for you.

Thanks for the comments Shirley. I have tried the puffs before without much luck. I am happy to leave it here. It seems there are a couple other somewhat similar subjects.

David: One MUST look at the largest view to really appreciate the amazing detail in the flower head. Really good DOF management and a fine BG. I know there is a lot of crossover between Macro and Flora and certainly no clear guidelines. For me I usually post images of an entire flower like this in Flora and real tight partials in Macro. There is no right answer except posting in the first place which I’m glad you did with this excellent shot. >=))>

David, the details in the seed head stand out nicely. Your wash of green from the foreground grass adds a fine sense of place.

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @Mark_Seaver for the comments. It was such a simple little scene. And Bill thank you for the explanation for macro or floral. I will remember that. My mistake. Shirley offered to move the photo and I declined.