Dawn on the Coast - Southern California

I shot this last summer during one of our wildfires. The smoke was awful but made for some interesting sunsets and sunrises.

f/10, 0.8sec, ISO 100, 24mm

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Do you guys feel like this composition is too busy/cluttered?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How do y’all feel about the overall tone? It’s a faithful reproduction of what the scene actually looked like but I’ve never been sure if she colors should be tweaked.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Not a very complicated photo, just lots of trial and error to get the timing right. Also lucked out with the bird.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@hlbphoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is really nice, Heath. The composition, while full of “stuff”, comes together quite well and does not strike me as busy at all. It is a great combination of elements. I think there is room to boost the vibrance a bit, but that is strictly an artistic choice. It works well as presented.

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman thank you. I think you’re right about the vibrance. I’ll mess with it some more.

PS. That dog is your profile photo is adorable.

Heath,

Beautiful seascape. I don’t find this busy at all and having that shorebird included seals the deal for me. I mean, this might seem more busy without the bird - if that makes sense.

Your processing has rendered this quite beautiful and natural. Of course I think you have great latitude in bumping up the vibrance as Harley suggested, and still be within the realm of being real.

I think the timing and shutter speed of the waveline adds a great deal to the scene and image.

My only wish would be for a tad more space on the right, but very minor thought.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks very much @Lon_Overacker! I totally agree with you that there could be some more breathing room on the right. Annoyingly, it’s not a matter of crop, I didn’t leave any.

The shorebird makes this for me. Without it, the comp and everything else are fine, but not notable. But with it, this one nudges right over the top. Excellent.

1 Like

Beautiful scene with nice diagonal movement of the flowing water. Good choice of shutter speed to allow some texture in the water. The shorebird is a nice touch and a good thing it stood still for 0.8 seconds.

1 Like

You immediately get extra points for being able to get a willet to stand still like that, Heath. I don’t think the FG is too cluttered but I do think that it’s a little too tight. My immediate thought is that I wish the cliff in the BG on the horizon right of center does not merge with the FG rock.

PS. Fancy meeting you down at the OC Coast some day!

1 Like

@David_Schoen thank you. Could not agree more, I was amazing it just stood completely still for the whole exposure, I was really lucky.

@Adhika_Lie haha! I wish I could take credit, just total luck. Totally agree with the scene being too tight, I think if I backed up even a little bit it would feel less claustrophobic.

PS. I’m out there all the time, feel free to say hi if you see me!

A very pleasant and peaceful scene (the bird is what makes it peaceful :wink: ), Heath! Good job with the exposure and I personally like the composition. It’s well balanced and I think more room on the right would put it out of balance so I wouldn;t change a thing. It’s not too cluttered for that type of scene and the bird is a big bonus. I can’t believe it stood still enough for the long exposure!

1 Like

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words @Gary_Minish!

Heath: Add me to the bunch that really likes the bird. It makes the shot come together for me. Beautiful scene superbly composed, captured and presented. >=))>

1 Like

I meant to comment before on this but got sidetracked. I really love how you put this scene together, and the light is terrific. Your SS seems to work well here, especially nice on the curl of the breaker, offshore breeze I’m guessiing? Looks like a Willet perched there, makes for a fun bonus. Most enjoyable.

1 Like

I love what the Willet adds here Heath :smiley:

1 Like

@Bill_Fach @Bill_Leggett @John_Williams Thanks so much you guys! Wow this community makes me want to get out and shoot more!

Heath, I think the tones are lovely. The gentle colors in the sky are very inviting. The sense of movement in the surf make a fine contrast to the rock and that lone bird. That bird is a superb addition to the scene.

1 Like

Thanks very much @Mark_Seaver!