Day Lily

Several years ago I did a magazine article for a local Day Lily farm, whose owners I knew quite well. They had over 600 varieties, this was just one.

Specific Feedback Requested

I just wonder if it looks oversaturated. The colors produced at this farm were renowned in the SE for their color, so it is not terribly far from what came out of the camera.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D7000, 100mm 2.8 @100mm, f/9, 1/800 (slight breeze), -1 EV, ISO 400

other than cropping and some slight color adjustments in PS, everything else in ACR

Chris, I do very little macro / closeup work but enjoy those folks who have a knack for pulling the best out of those type of scenes…nice work here !

1 Like

I missed this one, sorry. The colors look good to me. My father collects day lilies and from what I remember about some of them, this could be the variety. I like the angle here and the overall exposure looks good, maybe a tad contrasty, but you might need that for print work. The crop isn’t working for me. I think you need to go tighter or looser, right now it looks accidental. Those water droplets though…great stuff.

The crop didn’t work for me either but there was a sprinkler head to one side and a bright yellow day lily on the other side. I’ll dink around a bit with a tighter crop. Thanks for your input.

Pretty tight on the crop…mebbe yes, mebbe no, mebbe I just move on to another day lily. :wink: