Day on the Moss

Back from Colorado 2 weeks and getting a little agitated since I had not been out making photos (wonder if anyone else gets that, sort of withdrawal…). Northeast PA has many streams and falls so i spent the morning exploring this stream and falls near my home. The moss is intense in color and the light was perfect for this first image. I am posting the second, taken a few seconds later as I am wondering which image is stronger from a composition perspective.

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition and which is stronger and any other comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Vibrance and saturation are 0.
53mm, f/22, 1/8 sec, iso 5200, tripod, cuts and bruises from slippery moss!

1 Like

Mario, Very nice!

I prefer the second. The counterpoint between the silky streaming water and the stillness of the moss and exposed rock ledge is intriguing.

The image is a perfect example that with a good eye, you are finding and photographing exciting stories on a small stage. Well done.

You are making me think here @Mario_Cornacchione

The dappled light on the first one feels like it is placed better. The bright corner on the second one is drawing my attention. One of the parts that I like best about the first one is the small stream that comes around the larger rock and peeks out through the light on the right third, a small detail but I enjoy it and it gets a bit lost in the second version. BUT…I like the softness of the second one overall. The shadows on the left side of the image seem a bit lighter, almost as if some mist from the small falls is catching the light and softening them a bit, I like that, less contrasty, more subdued. I think if you could tame the corner of #2 it would be my pick.

Thank you for the comments @paul_g_wiegman @David_Wallace . Dave here is an eddited version with the RLC with highlights taken down. Does look better.

1 Like