Debutante

We had a huge crop of Monarchs this spring and this was one of the last to emerge. This little lady was about two hours old and still inflating and warming her wings. She was kind enough to pose and let me get close and parallel to her wings to get wingtip to wingtip sharpness. The detail in the wing scales on the RAW file is pretty incredible. She flew away a mere 10 minutes later. Please view large. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/60 @ f16

1 Like

The detail is incredible, Bill. Gorgeously detailed. Lucky you she hung around for so long! Nicely done.

Bill, this is beautiful. The details in her wings are excellent. I hope when she flew off she headed for NC! We don’t get all that many, at least in my yard (which probably means I am not planting the flowers she would like). Very nice.

Very impressive. Nice that you were able to get such a detailed photo before any blemishes appeared.

A beautiful specimen beautifully captured, Bill. The detail is terrific. What plant is she on?

Terry: This is a passion vine. It was close to where her chrysalis was hanging. She had been fluttering a bit and rested here to gain a little more wing rigidity and energy.

1 Like

Wonderful photo Bill, very sharp and excellent details in her. It was nice that she wanted to really show off to a start into this world.

Hi Bill,

The scales in the wings are nice and crisp. Freshly emerged butterflies are well worth the wait. The DOF is also perfect and the butterfly is sharp from wing tip to wing tip. I like this one as presented…Jim

Bill, this looks great.! Wingtip to wingtip sharpness is always a challenge. Getting one fresh has the benefit of them not flying away, so you can take time to set up very carefully. That care shows in the details of the large view.