Debutante

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Chrissy and I were out in the garden watering this morning before it gets blazing hot. She discovered this little lady freshly emerged from her chrysalis. She cooperated when we placed her on the pentas and posed nicely. We also had a male born this morning but he didn’t want to show off as much. Oh well, I’m pretty happy with this one. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 GM II @ 194mm
ISO 400, 1/160 @ f11

3 Likes

Bill, you need some wall space for these. She is beautiful, and you did her justice with your images of her. I like that you got one of her with the wings together and one opened up. The flowers are pretty too. I can’t think of anything that might improve either shot. Well done. Wondering how you two were doing in that heat I hear about on the news. Warm enough here, but nothing like what you all are getting. Stay cool!

1 Like

Very nice. That first one just feels a bit flat. I think the white point is already as high as it can go, because of how the white spots on the wings look, but you could use a luminosity mask to select the highlights, invert it, and then add it to a levels adjustment layer to raise the white point in the rest of the scene more, this way it introduces more luminance overall. This is a trick I use on a lot of images, especially when they have one small, very bright area!

Wonderful!! The lighting is a bit different in the two, with the first being more shaded. I prefer the softer BG in the first and the brighter light on the butterfly in the second. I think a simple adjustment will yield the advantages of each. I did a soft quick mask selection of the butterfly in the first (keeping the painted area inside the wings) and made a curves, which had the mask of the selected area, and raised the midpoint of the curve. I did the opposite on the second, masking the butterfly and inverting the mask so the BG was selected, and made a curves adjustment layer and pulled down the UR corner of the curve to darken the BG and reduce its contrast.

I feel for what people are going through with the heat wave in the south – and all the assorted weather problems everywhere.

2 Likes

Beautiful specimens Bill and well captured. They show off well against the pentas. Very pretty images - yours and Diane’s versions.