Decaying Stump w Maple bloom

Image Description

After a day of rain, I wanted to get out and explore the wet woods. This stump is one that I have photographed before and the glowing, wet lichen at it’s base caught my eyes. Looking through the camera at the lichen didn’t inspire me, but this area that was dry due to overhanging wood above was attractive, especially with the fallen Maple bloom nestled in a curve. What’s amazing to me is the growth of all this textured wood, now deep inside this stump (likely harvested ~100 years ago). Finally visible because the north side of this stump has crumbled away.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Technical Details

A 17 shot stack, 180 mm macro, 1/10 s, f/13, iso 800, tripod, 2 s timer, roughly 6 inches (150 cm) across.

2 Likes

I love shooting these types of details, a nice find. I think it would have been better if the small bloom was higher up from the boarder. Maybe placed in the lower right 1/3 point; of course it always depends on what I can’t see is outside your framing.

Mark, I am really enjoying this, with all the shades of brown, and the many lines, swirls and shapes. It is a amazing how that little bloom is “living” off of a dead tree stump. Nature is amazing! I’m not bothered by the position of the bloom, but could see it not so close to the edge, but for me, and I really feel like I am nit picking, is the black URC. My eye keeps going there. If you were to crop it out you would be losing some beautiful wood, so I don’t think that is the answer. I have to get my eyes back on what is important. There is a smaller dark spot on the LLC, so maybe it balances it. Beautiful stump.

What an amazing stump!! And the flower is the grace note. Would be nice if the black area was less prominent. It’s so interesting that I don’t see a different crop but I wonder if there had been a way to angle the camera with a little CCW rotation to include all the good stuff and maybe minimize the spot. But, knowing nature, probably not. I’m happy to assume you got the best composition.

Mark, I love this. Great contrast of light and dark and direction of the patterns are intriguing. the maple bloom is a nice surprise. However, my pet dog is a pug and will no longer be able to not see his profile in the RUQ. Great image.