Delicate Arch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Chrissy has planted a number of cacti and succulents in our garden this year. I’ve been watching this little guy grow oh so slowly over the past few weeks. The buds that are opening have taken about five to seven days to get to this stage. I’m curious as to whether they will open more and hope that they will be able to weather some of the adverse conditions (strong thunderstorms and high heat) that we’ve had recently. We had a real strong blow a couple of days ago and it seemed to handle it well.

Specific Feedback

This is another of my nascent stacking efforts so brutal honesty is solicited.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/1000 @ f5.6, 15 shot stack

1 Like

OK Bill – you had me fooled when I saw the name on the page view that doesn’t show the thumbnails. But this is WAY better than any of that other Delicate Arch – which really isn’t so delicate. Wonderful composition, tonalities and DOF!! And a stack!! Super and excellent!!! Worthy of a large print.

What a terrifically different little plant. At least for my neck of the woods. The way the flowers are arranged on the stems is so interesting - they remind me (in shape) of blueberry flowers. I can see why Chrissy likes them so much. I can’t see any problems with the stack, so no worries there. You could do some slight dodging and burning if you want to bring out more modeling in the plant. I know you’re super busy though, and this is pretty darn excellent as is.

I haven’t checked in for a while as I have been busy, so I looked at the newest images for critique and yours stood out to me. I believe it was the soft muted colors that attracted me to it. I am a little bothered by the out of focus leaf on the bottom, but overall I love it. I am curious what is behind the image and higher? It appears darker background at the top and also appears further away, so I would be interested in whether a lower angle would bring more separation from the background? as @Kris_Smith mentioned, dodging and burning would accomplish the same. Nice Job!

Hi Bill,

Yes, they really are very slow but most are well worth the wait, I have my eye on a couple as well and the non-succulent flowers and plants seem to run circles around these. :slight_smile:

Kind of silly and probably just me but when I first saw the thumbnail version of this I saw what looked like the McDonalds Golden Arches, made me want to go out for a Big Mac or a Fish Sandwich :smiley:

Anyway, I really like this and not because it made me think of not so good for me Fast Food.

Love the colors and the shapes as well as the BG, the composition is very pleasing as well.
The color of the plant seemed to blend with the BG colors just a smidge while in full screen but, when I expanded it to full size, it looked good as presented, in full size it was easy to tell the separation between subject and BG.

Very nicely done, Bill :slight_smile:

I agree with Kristen and Lisa about the background. To me, the background is a little distracting. Blending the lights and darks could make the background more consistent and distinct from the flowers. It certainly is a moment of beauty to see a succulent flower like this!