Doublet Pool, Yellowstone

One advantage of midday light is how it saturates colors. I’ve shot Doublet Pool in Yellowstone multiple times and it’s clear that the blue in the pool is strongest when there’s bright sun and blue sky. This is a five shot stack to get front to back sharpness while emphasizing the mix of sinter along the edges and the blues in the deeper parts of the pool. (5D3, 70-200 @ 135, 1/50 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod)

Great colors and shapes. A really tropical vibe. If it were mine I’d crop out the top and include water only up there. I could be convinced to cut the bottom, too and have two swaths of blue intersected by the mineral deposits.

A wonderful composition, and the clarity of the water is so well captured. Those formations are amazing!

I think @Kris_Smith has an interesting idea in cropping down from the top. I’d be tempted to do a subtle gradient burn from the LL. (What would AA have done…?)

A perfect color combination courtesy of Mother Nature. The midday light also makes for those deep shadows in the water, giving a nice sense of depth. I’m with Kris on cropping the top - that bit of the deposit at the top isn’t adding anything to my eye. And maybe a titch off the bottom, too.

Gorgeous colors, textures and composition, Mark. Must agree about the mid day sun illuminating water so well. It is incredibly crystal clear. Makes me wish I was there. Nicely done.

Enjoyed this one a lot, not a lot of mid day images are appealing but this works very well. I am in the same thought process as @Kris_Smith and will even go further to crop out even the water. There are some crop variations that can be done here.

Hi Mark,

I remember this spot you captured it very well. Colors are rich with ideal saturation. You could try the suggested crop. It may strengthen your comp. Well done…Jim