Dream Island

Description: Minimalist photo of island in fog. trying to learn to work with fog .

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/30 sec , f16 iso 100

Is this a composite?no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

3 Likes

Mike this is a really nice minimalist image you have here, a great example of how less is more. It’s simple and direct. I also like that you placed both the horizon line and the island off-center, it’s a good composition.

In my opinion fog needs to be somewhat bright in luminosity to retain its vitality, and you have done that well here. You also kept the foggy sky brighter than it’s reflection, which is more natural looking. When you look at the larger version of the image, you can detect a vague hint of a shoreline behind the island, so I think you handles that very well too. I think if you added dehaze to make that shoreline more visible, you would lose some of the mood in this image. So overall, your processing of this foggy scene works well for me.

I think one nice thing about fog is that you can play with white balance to create different moods (although not necessarily better ones). My own subjective personal preference for fog is to keep it slightly cool in WB. I think your version works well as presented, but I could see a cooler WB being a viable alternative too. It depends what your objective is, cooler is more somber, warm is more inviting.

Many thanks Ed for your comments. I see what you mean about the white balance. I will keep that in mind in the future.

I’m late to this party and now just catching up.

The simple beauty here is perfect. Lots of barely textures space with pioneer vegetation holding on to an arrowhead of dry land stabbing in from the left defying the softness of the water and fog.

I have no adjustments to offer.

Namaste

Thank you for taking the time to look and your kind comments .

This is beautiful. I do love minimal images.
I think @Ed_McGuirk white balance suggestion works very well here.
I would had try to compose more to the left an up - meaning placing the island lower and more to the right - to avoid the island being cut on the left border , and put more weight on top instead than below. Just my 2 cents and not knowing what was there outside the borders.

I agree that cooling the image improves it.

Thank you to everyone for your comments :smiley:

Beautiful image, Mike. I like the fog and the reflections of the trees in the water.

Many thanks Vanessa :slight_smile:

1 Like