Drone triptych

My thoughts on triptych. I have done these every now and then and also in my photo exhibition in 140x60cm size. Teaches me to see larger entities and group my work

Specific Feedback Requested

The idea

Technical Details

1 Like

A superb triptych, Jorma, that does exactly what a triptych should - each image informing and expanding on the others without repetition. That isn’t easy to do but this one is masterful. Each image is hitting different notes while expressing a clear theme. For me the “theme” is the gorgeous sinuous curves that each image celebrates and even though the colour palette of each is different, the tones perfectly unify the three. Really nice work.

1 Like

Excellent triptych and certainly something I can learn from. I think triptychs of abstracts that have some composition element in common are the most interesting. And this is precisely what you have done here. The sinuous braided line is the tying element here. I also think these triptychs are much harder to pull off that they seem because they in themselves are a composition and need to be constructed in that manner. It’s not enough to put together 3 similar composition. They need to be processed differently for the triptych than individually to be optimal. And that brings me to the rightmost panel. It stands out from the other 2 in white balance and saturation. Should the WB be warmed? Or should it be placed in the middle and create a triptych balance by having the warm ones on each side? Or am I making more of this than there is and is inconsequential? Personally I think that it would have been better if all three had a similar white balance. I’ll feel pretty good about that statement.

With regards to the individual panels the one on the left gets my vote. It would be great you could click on each individually and get a large version here at NPN.

Having critiqued your triptych I think it is excellent and certainly better than my effort. Also I think it enriches NPN by exploring a new venue of imagery. Basically, it opens the door for more possibilities and means of expression and that’s always a good thing.

1 Like

This is very nice.
Beautiful presentation of some beautiful pictures.

1 Like

I had similar thoughts to @Igor_Doncov regarding the blue image and it’s placement in the middle. The more I thought about it though, it’s placement is a bit of a book end, just as the first one is. The way the first and last images have a funnel type shape when viewed together I think helps create balance in the group as a whole. I do wonder if the sandy tones were warmed to match the sandy tones of the other two images what the out come would be. Maybe worth playing with the placement to see if it changes much as well. Due to their abstract nature, you could also play with flipping and rotating them. I’ve enjoyed looking at them as presented though.

1 Like

I really like this - both the images themselves as well as the arrangement of them. Some might say that the third image is too blue but I like that it’s different and yet goes well with the other 2 images. The first image has some blues in it as well so having it on he left with he other blue image on the right makes sense to me.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the encouraging comments. That third picture has been warmer in tone but I thought it was ugly and I didn’t get a nice color in it so I faded it grayer. It’s nice to tinker with these and often I’m thinking before filming how the shots would work together. Thoughts about the pictures revolve in my mind for the summer. For example, this sandy beach triptych

3 Likes

Another great trypich Jorma! That bit of warm colour in the center image in all of the grey tones is really beautiful.

1 Like

Stunning and beautifully conceived.

1 Like

This is a great collection of abstract images. I like the variety of shapes and colors in the three images. I also like the fact that had you not mentioned that these are photos taken from a drone there is a sense of mystery of the scale of the images. Nice collection!

1 Like

Wow, can I learn from this. These two sets are both spectacularly conceived. I may even like the second post better. You have done a beautiful job of creating a central theme for each of these sets but at the same time, each image is unique unto itself. I love that second triptych. I also like the framing with larger outside edges. I can’t decide if I like the blue image on the end. It seems like there is an opening in the LRC that doesn’t create a hard edge so it might fit better in the middle but I can certainly understand why you chose to put it there. It mixes well with higher contrast and edgier image on the far left and both ends appear to be containing the image in the middle. I may be over thinking this one. In any case. these are both really well executed and I prefer the second one.

1 Like

Thanks David for the nice reflection. I made a new version of that but it feels like it now leaves the third picture too alone. The first two fit pretty well. The blue mirror image didn’t work better either. That blue could be changed, but even if there are hundreds of pictures, there is nothing better to offer

Oh yeah, it’s much better in your original order. What about flipping the blue image upside down and then placing it on the right end like you have in your original. Just a thought. Beautiful no matter what you do.

1 Like

I see you already moved the blue one to the center. That was going to be my recommendation, although, even there, it’s a bit strong compared to the more subtle colors of the other two. Conceptually this does work well as a triptych as these are fascinating and obviously related abstracts. I think I could all like these as stand-alone images as well.

1 Like