Sand triptych

I have photographed these triptych abstracts for some time and I am working on an exhibition of them for next summer. The subjects vary from high-altitude drone photos to close-up dead tree structures.
The idea is the flow of time and that’s me standing on the platform. “timeflux passing through”

Specific Feedback Requested

Idea

Technical Details

5 Likes

Incredible abstract. First thing that came to mind was a scene from lord of the rings or something unworldly. I like all 3 together too. Perfect nice work.

1 Like

Hi Jorma. Usually I’m not too sure about triptych’s. At least I’m part because it means that the photos are even smaller and I can’t see them as well. That being said these really work well together. I like the pop of the yellow compared to the almost black and white feel of the other two. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Sensational. Each of these images are beautifully seen and rendered on their own but together they are that much stronger. The order you have put them provides perfect balance without symmetry. This is a grouping I could look at for many hours.

1 Like

I love triptychs and this is a very nice example of one. I love each image individually but also how all of the images go together with the other two. I also really like that the one image with the most colour is in the middle and overall I feel this makes a very pleasing presentation.

1 Like

Awesome triptych, Jorma. Simply awesome. Best of luck with your exhibition.

1 Like

I love it and can only repeat the comment of @Tom_Nevesely .
Wish I could visit your exhibition.

1 Like

Hi Jorma –

This is a wonderful collection of photographs and I wish you the best with your exhibition.

First, a discussion about terms. I have always understood triptych to mean one image sliced into three sections for presentation as separate panels. It seems like you and others in the comments define the term differently, as in three complementary photos presented as a set. I often do not like triptychs with my definition in mind because I do not like slicing up a cohesive image. I don’t think it adds much in most cases. Regardless of the definition, I think this presentation works wonderfully for this set of photos.

The first and third photos work perfectly as abstractions. While the subject seems like sand, it is hard to determine the scale and the context. The ribbon element in the first one is especially compelling. Although I really enjoy the second one, I wouldn’t consider it as much of an abstract for the purposes of this critique since the subject is clear. (That certainly doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong in the set. I am just mentioning it in relation to the theme of my guest critique.)

In terms of critique, you could consider cleaning up a bit of the debris in the first one. The other two photos are quite clean in their presentation and some of the small specs in the first one visually separates it a bit from the others. I might also consider lightening the dark spot of sand in the upper left corner of the third photo to help the tonality feel a bit more balanced across the frame. Otherwise, a beautiful collection!

1 Like

I really like this idea and it’s pulled off successfully here. I do have the impulse to “read” it from left to right. In doing so my eye gets caught a little too much by the width of the white spaces. I guess the way it’s shown forces me to be with each image individually longer and I can’t quite comfortably look at all three in unison. Was that your intent?

1 Like

Thanks Sarah and guys. These sand pictures are quite difficult because there is quite a lot of small “garbage” in them that I would like to clean. Otherwise, these are quite difficult to photograph because, due to the vertical cropping, especially the drone photos have to be planned carefully. Often, the image has to be compiled from several shots. A lot of pictures must be taken and only a few are suitable for the triptych format
Kevin, I have filed the gaps between the pictures many times, but when the size of the frames is 140cm, it only gives a little leeway to the design

1 Like

Super images love how the color works. They are very remanence of Huibo Hou’s work published in Lens Works. https://www.huibohou.com/Portfolio/Themes/Nature-Botanical-Sand-Art/
Hers were in B&W I like your subtle color.
Steve

1 Like