Drop On The Top

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had a late snowstorm one April just as the first buds of Spring were appearing. As the temperatures slowly rose above freezing, a few snowflakes melted on top of the flower to create this scene.

Specific Feedback

Overall composition, depth of field, lighting.

Technical Details

Sony RX10iii, f 5.6, 1/50th of a second, ISO 100 @200mm, handheld

I love the bloom head with the water drops and the slightly out of focus leaves framing it, Paul. I do find the little white area at just under the bloom head something of an eye magnet, but that’s easily remedied.

Hi Dennis, I really like this image, with that perfect water drop and the selective focus you used. Also nice and sharp and the colors look great.

Thanks for your feedback. I think that white area is one of several smaller water droplets caused by the melted snow.

I appreciate your feedback

Hi, Paul. I really like the photo and composition. The two darker leaves in the BG help frame your subject. I agree with @Dennis_Plank about the highlight magnet near the flower stem. Since it’s so close to the darker tones in the flower, it appears even more pronounced. I would also like to suggest burning the LRC a little bit more. That curve is already different from the other lines and provides a good contrast. By the same token, you don’t want your viewers to be distracted because of those curves. I like the crop you presented, too. This next suggestion is nitpicking on a beautiful image. If I had done this edit, I would have cropped a little tighter to eliminate the middle of the leaf on the LLC as well as the other vertical line on the right side of the frame. Anyway, that would be nitpicking, as I said it. This is a nice image, and that droplet on the top is gorgeous.

I love the story about how the waterdrops were formed from melting snowflakes, Paul! :slight_smile:

This is a wonderful image, partly because I don’t recall seeing anything like this (which makes it extra special for me) and partly just because it’s a beautiful cluster and the colors are great!

There are a couple of things that catch my attention in addition to the highlights under the cluster at the stem, it seems a little noisy or grainy for an ISO of just 100 so the only thing I can think of that might have caused that was maybe it was under exposed, then the exposure was raised in post? that’s just a guess though. :thinking:
The other thing is the curved OOF larger leaf on the right, it’s large enough to call for attention of it’s own meaning it pulls attention away from the flower bud cluster IMHO so I recommend a crop from the right to the point where the cluster is just left of center.
And one nitpicking item is I feel that the waterdrops closest to the front seem slightly soft, the rest is a little soft as well so maybe consider doing an overall mild sharpening?

I had your image in Ps just to see what things would look like before making any suggestions so instead of just explaining my thoughts solely with text, I figured I might as well upload the edit since I already had it ready to view (for your consideration).

As always, if this is too far away from what you’re after or if you just don’t like the ideas and thoughts, feel free to dismiss what I’ve done. :slight_smile:

Tis a lovely image in my view!! :slight_smile:

P.S. I forgot to mention that I done some cloning with a small brush at roughly 35% opacity to remove the highlights under the cluster.

Thanks for your suggestions, and I will eliminate the bright spot around the stem. In processing the image I softened it some so it is not tack sharp. The scene seemed like a dream state so the softening is purposeful. I will bring in both the LLQ and RLQ to eliminate any distraction.

Thanks- I will crop in both the LLC and RLC and eliminate the bright spot

1 Like

I certainly fully appreciate the intentional soft feeling and I like what you did here! :slight_smile:

It’s always whatever feels right for you, Paul! :slight_smile:
My suggestions are always just a different view. I have trouble seeing possibilities in many of my own images and I always appreciate fresh eyes and fresh opinions, a sort of a collaboration.

In the end, it is your image/art and your experience so you should apply only what you agree with, nothing more.

Thank you so much for the response, Paul! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Paul, nice find and capture here; surprise weather events often bring photo opportunities, which you took advantage of. Love how that drop is perfectly ensconced by the petals on top, reminding me of a diamond ring in its setting. The reflection of a tree-shaped leaf is a bonus. Overall composition and sharpness is fine with me, but I’m in agreement about the bright spot, whatever its cause.

Thanks- these critiques really help