Dwarf Irises — Repost!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These very small dwarf irises were just barely in shadow on a very sunny day. A diffuser helped maintain even light. I do my post-processing in Photoshop and always convert to B&W using a B&W adjustment layer. To finish it, I used NIK’s Glow filter to soften the image.

Specific Feedback

Will appreciate your thoughts on the processing and glow. Thanks!

Technical Details

Canon 5DsR with Sigma 105 macro lens; ISO 640, f/14, 1/160 sec.

2 Likes

Beautiful, Susanna. I really like the way the blossoms form an arc across the frame and your treatment of the leaves is perfect for my taste-just enough definition to keep them from fading completely into the background. I do see a couple of places that you might want to clean up. I’ve made a copy of your image and circled the culprits in red:

Dennis, thanks very much for spying those problems! I’ll fix those. Appreciate your feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re welcome. Little things like that are so easy to miss when we’re processing.

Susanna, I like the glow and processing you used. The areas that Dennis pointed out are a bit distracting, I agree. It is like they are ghosts of the same area. Although I like this version you presented, as a matter of personal preference, I might have tried to add some burning in a few petal areas simply to add more depth and texture to the flowers. However, based on what you wrote, I don’t think that was the style you were going for.

Thanks, Egidio! I agree. I didn’t see that ghosting, so am glad it was pointed out! Will work on it. :blush:

1 Like

A wonderful subject and I love the B/W treatment. I would love to see more detail in the whites, though. It’s a delicate balance with glow, for sure.

Thanks, Diane. I’ll revisit the image and see what I can pull out. Appreciate your feedback!

I posted an edited image! I removed the ghosting and tried (Diane!) to work in more petal detail. I managed to post the redo, but couldn’t figure out how to write about it, so am doing so here. Will appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Toggling back and forth between the two images, I honestly can’t see any difference other than the ghosting cleanup. I’m curious what you did for the whites?

And that was a very minor suggestion – it is a gorgeous image!!

Hi Diane, You’re right, they don’t look that different. In PS they did. It wasn’t a dramatic difference, but it was as much as I wanted to add. I’ll try again!

Such a beautiful image, Susanna! Nothing I would change, with exception of Dennis’ suggestion. That jumped out at me as well. I would print this and hang it on the wall!

Thanks so much, Fritz! I did fix the ghosting. Can’t belive I didn’t see that before. :slightly_smiling_face:

That was just a very minor thing; truly a lovely image, Susanna!

1 Like