Emeralds and Ice - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tent camping in December in the Lava Beds National Monument in Northern California is not for the cold blooded! I woke up to a nice frosty landscape throughout the lava rocks and found these crystals and the lichen to be fascinating.

Specific Feedback

Depth of Field? I did not know about focus staking at the time 12/2017, but this seems to be a prime candidate if I ever get the chance to go back in the right conditions. I think I’ll pass on the tent camping this time though. . .

Technical Details

Canon 5D MIII, f22, 1/40 sec (HH), iso 200, -0.7 exp bias, 47 mm (24-105 lens)

I’m afraid we gave up on the tent camping a while back, Ed. This is really nice. Wonderful frost crystals and the lichen plays well with them.

My tent “camping” was when I was in the Army, on field maneuvers, and a few times in the 4H. I just know I do better at sleeping in the comforts of my Tempur-Pedic. I realize though that it can place you out there in the right place at dawns early light and frost etc. that gives photo ops that would otherwise not happen. Kudos to you for the effort. I like this shot as is. It might have been a great subject for stacking but looks good as present in a one shot. I have that lens but have never tried taking a macro like that. Very interesting.

Ed: You’re a man after my own heart. I still love a tent and spent my October trip in Oregon in my old faithful two man. My wife and I have a “nylon mansion” but on a solo the little guy works just fine.
This is a terrific find and a fine capture. My only tiny 1 cent nit is the bright green lichen near the top edge and to a lesser extent the slightly duller greens below it. The bright one at the edge is an eye magnet for me. Burn that down and this goes from 99.5% marvelous to 100%+. >=))>

@Dennis_Plank, @Shirley_Freeman, and @Bill_Fach thank you for your comments, and for your suggestion to burn down the bright green spots in the ULC Bill. I abused my cloning tool to knock them down a bit.

2 Likes