Fall on the Buffalo River

Any pertinent technical details:

D850
Zeiss 21mm f/2.8
ISO 31
1.6 seconds
Breakthrough photography 3-stop magnetic filter
Not much done besides resizing, sharpening, levels, and a little bit of cloning out of some small but distracting elements.

This is Roark Bluff on the Buffalo River in Arkansas. All feedback welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Love the fall color and choice of shutter speed to catch the right exposure for the moving water.
I like how the low angle brings me eye to the foreground but overall it is missing a main foreground element of interest.
A more prominent rock sticking out or a couple of leaves, etc…
As is I feel like it is missing that.

1 Like

As Matt mentioned above, this photograph would really thrive with a main subject. I felt like I traveled across the scene with out fully resting on a sole subject. It looks like the area you were in was quite lovely though! I do enjoy your choice of editing.

Something else to add - maybe use a slightly faster shutter speed? 1/4 or 1/2? I believe this would then capture more prominent highlights in this shallow river you are using as your foreground.

Cheers!

1 Like

Lyle,

I’m really enjoying the low perspective/viewpoint and the soft, gentle flow you’ve captured in the water. I like how the colored rocks show through nicely and you’ve also managed some nice depth and detail front to back. And even with the low level perspective, I’m glad you got some of the main river and the far shore and treeline.

Don’t really have any nitpicks or suggestions. I do wish a bit more blue showed through in the sky, but looks like you pretty much just had an overcast day (which made great for the colors.)

Nicely captured.

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback. On my first pass, I thought the rock in the FG functioned well enough for an anchor. However, I know I did not let enough time pass from capture to processing so that I could be objective about it. Always nice to receive feedback!

1 Like