February midday

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My favorite panorama from last February. This place is best in the middle of winter because the sun shines very low, making the light really interesting. I shoot from the same tripod positions many times when I visit here.

Specific Feedback

All

Technical Details

Shot with 8 frames old PC Nikkor 35mm lens and stitched in ARC. With the PC lens, the lines are straight in the vertical image and the tops of the tall trees are captured in the image.
I almost always use the f22 aperture, which still gives a sharp image and I don’t have to worry about the depth of field.
The sky is really difficult in these approximately 160 degree panoramas because the colors can vary a lot in the entire area and the stitching sometimes messes up especially the steady blue

3 Likes

WOW!!! What a winter wonderland you have created! The panorama is amazing, and the clouds and sun star are just amazing!

Absolutely gorgeous, Jorma. That light and the way it works in the trees is just awesome.

This is stunning. I love this type of image. I’m sure the pano is very challenging. It’s something I haven’t done much of at all. I’m daunted by being likely to mess up the nuances such as you describe. The only thing I might wish is a tiny more space above the tallest tree, but not at the expense of any of the ground, if it was an either/or choice. Sooo lovely. Thank you for sharing this!

Edit - I mentioned breathing room - just a smidge. Actually, I’m torn on that as I look at it again in the large image. I’m not sure. At any rate, a beautiful image!

This looks like a winter wonderland to me Jorma. The scene has a nice mix of warm and cool colors and I am loving that sunstar. Beautifully done.

Thanks Ed and the other guys for the nice comments