Feeding the Flame

Image: Feeding the Flame

Description: One of the tasks in camp is maintaining the campfire through the cold night. Adding fresh logs to keep the fire going and form a good bed of embers is a part of that task. Taken during a family camping trip, this image shows a well-placed log feeding the fire.

Specific Feedback Requested: Thoughts on composition. How to lessen the impact of the ashes in the right side upper and lower corners? Any other comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D300s, Tamron 18-400 mm f 3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD B028N, ISO 200, 70 mm, f 4.5, 1/80 sec. Processed in LR. Minimal increase in exposure with lighting changes. Sharpening. Image cropped to emphasize the feeling of the unburned log feeding into the burning fire, forming the embers underneath.

I think your composition looks great. I like the angled logs leading into the fire. I do feel like those logs and the ashes are too blue. You might try reducing the blue saturation overall, since I suspect at an overall warming would make the flames too yellow.

Thank you for reviewing the image and for your comments. I did send a reply through email, but will keep trying to get used to this process here. Thank you for the thoughts about the blue. I see what you mean and will try to adjust that, see where it goes.

I took your suggestion to decrease the saturation of the blue in the image. Here is the adjusted image which I do like better.