First Iris of the year

The first iris bloom appeared a couple of days ago, and it was a good one! Brought it inside for a focus stack.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100mm macro, f/7.1. ISO 800, 1/10 sec. Stack of maybe 30. No adjustments to the raw file, minor retouching to the stack – removal of some “sparkles” and a few local tonal adjustments.

2 Likes

This is torture. Thanks Diane. :smiley:

Seriously, what a lovely composition. And a yellow iris, too. Most folks go for the purple ones so it’s nice to see such subtle colors. Great light and details - stacking was absolutely the right way to go. These have such depth and you got it without showing everything. Makes the sharpness stand out even more. Did you not want/need to do anything to the raw files or just prefer to work with the final stacked image?

Diane, I love the depth of the sharpness in this. Terrific composition, perfect level of depth, and wonderful colors.

Thanks guys! @Kris_Smith, the raw file just didn’t need any significant tonal or color work (which is not usually the case for me) and with a stack of 30 or more I just put it off to the last step, with a couple of masked curves, mostly to the upper corners. I’m wishing now I’d lightened the area down the “throat” and the bottom part of the stamen, which were shaded by the side light from a window.

Absolutely gorgeous, Diane.

Diane: Wonderful subject with marvelous lighting and comp. Superbly crafted image. >=))>