First Light -- Bird Island

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

South of Carmel, CA, photographers find happiness at Point Lobos state park. But a few miles further south is another state park: Garrapatha. Arriving before sunrise, I saw a big fog bank offshore, catching light while the shoreline was still in shadow from the cliffs. I was thinking about what to do with this opportunity when the fog retreated a bit and revealed a bird island, lit by sun.

Specific Feedback

I have always admired the landscape shooter brave enough to frame a tiny subject and make no apologies. I think this succeeds in drawing the eye to the island, but this particular subject, however magnetic, might be too far away and too small! I admit I chuckled at the thought of making this image. But I had to give it a shot. Yes, those tiny black things on the rock are Cormorants.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6II, ISO 100, 1/50th second, F8, tripod.

Hi James - I think this is an interesting take on the fog theme, with the clearly defined fog bank in the background rather than presenting fog as something permeating the scene. I really like the look of the horizon in this image, with the sliver of blue sky peeking over the fog. As for the subject of the image, I personally find myself being drawn to the large rocks in the foreground. They have a lot of interesting cracks and contours, and I think you’ve arranged them well in this composition. I do like the small island in the distance, but I think it is overshadowed by the prominent rocks in the foreground. I think this shot still makes for a wonderful image, even if it isn’t quite how you had intended it.

Thanks John. I kind of knew the bird island wasn’t quite strong enough but I appreciate the validation of the shot as a two-subject seascape. Looks like I’ve invented a new category for the Weekly Challenge.

Hi James - I too like the foreground rocks, and the fog bank, but I find myself playing a visual ping-pong game with the foreground and background. The eye always goes to the brightest part (or tonal values) of a frame, no matter how big or small that is - (well, ok if it is even smaller that the bird island here, then maybe not) and so my eye keeps getting pulled back there.

Thanks Brenda. It appears clear that I need to find a better bird island if I’m going to use light to direct viewers eyes to that subject !