Fishing among icebergs

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The size of these icebergs is difficult to show. The glacier is pushing 300 m of these giants into the fjord each day. No wonder Titanic had problems………

Technical Details

Just changed profile to vivid

Hi Tim. Welcome to the Human and Fauna forum. A very graphic image and the juxtaposition of the boat, gulls and iceberg really provide a sense of scale. You don’t mention anything about your equipment or settings in your post, so it’s a bit difficult to suggest changes, but on my screen, it looks like the only thing in really super sharp focus is the iceberg face itself. I think if you were able to set your camera to a reasonably close hyperfocal distance that you’d get better depth of field and an even more powerful image. Still I like this as a documentary image.

Hi Trym,

This is a great image and compositionally, it’s dead on IMHO!
It has a nice dynamic feel, it conveys the sense of motion and activity in many ways.
The exposure looks really good, too but as Dennis mentions, it could be sharper on the boats and in the FG so using a fairly close hyperfocal distance focus point, like maybe the ice floe in the FG? Or maybe even on the boats would have been better (just advice for future shots of course).

I like it! :slight_smile:

Hi Trym, nice scene well captured. That’s a lot of birds around the boat - must have been great to witness. All looks good to my eye. Well done.

Trym, How fortunate you are to see a scene like this - both exhilarating and cold. Do you live in northern Norway? I like the framing and comp of the image. The boat is obviously the major point of contrast and injects a human element that drives the story of the image. I sharpened the image using Topaz Photo AI. Perhaps there could be more real estate on the left side, to keep the iceberg from bumping against the frame. I saw this in B&W as well even though the shades of purple are most interesting. So many different looks can be achieved here in B&W depending on your vision. I am attaching a high key example just for fun. Welcome from me too.

I live in southern Norway, but love the arctic. Yes I always loved B&W, so I will try . Thanks a lot

Trym, Thanks for your reply. My wife and I are planning a trip to Norway for next summer, maybe late September. We would love to e-mail with you to get some tips for sights to see . You can contact me at lgreenbaum2@gmail.com I look forward to our exchange. Thanks in advance.