Fixing my spider

We came across this one at the botanical gardens in Tucson. My wife actually spotted it as I have been focusing on small insects lately. I was in a very odd position trying to get the tripod set just right, I am always careful at any gardens not to damage anything. So Looking at it in Lightroom page of the leg was missing. I could have just remove the broken part but I thought I would try in Photoshop to fix his leg. I expanded the canvas on the bottom, used Content aware only around the area I needed. Then used the clone stamp took at 70% to put back the missing part, then the healing hard brush to fix the distortion areas. The fix the rest of the bottom from the expanded canvas. This was the first time I tried this (fixing a photo that I missed on).

is this a cellar spider? I want to start putting a name on this insects I take.
Canon 90D 180 Macro Software diffused flash ISO 1250 1/100 f/13

Comments welcome

Before

After

Dean, It looks like you did a fine repairing his cut off leg. I not sure I would have been talented enough to have done that.

thanks @Shirley_Freeman, with spiders since they are new to me would a wider DOF been better, like f/22

1 Like

Tbh I wouldn’t even have known you edited the leg up! great work!
My only critique would be that dark spot on the left. It is a bit distracting and pulls your eye away from the subject. But I like the angle on the spider and how the legs are pretty evenly taking up the frame so it feels balanced in that regard.

1 Like

Dean, this is a good close look at this spider and a fine job of “fixing” things in post processing. The missing leg is a neat surprise. It also looks like she’s just finished wrapping up a future dinner. I do see a couple of minor issues in your fix. First, there’s the repeated structures problem in the extended leg, which you may be able to fix by cloning over some of those with different areas from the rest of the leg. Second, there’s a subtle grayish line that parallels the extended leg. That can be fixed by cloning at say 30% opacity from either side of the line.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, I saw some of that after the post so does need tweaking. I need to find a way to identify this insects. Maybe a good book is the way to go. I join a group on FB for that reason an on this one it was not very clear. Google image search found daddy long leg or cellar spider. The black area on the left is not easy to remove because the leg bends in too much. But he was in the spot he was. When my wife spotted him I had to setup my camera, he was spinning web around something that got into the web, but I was not ready fast enough

Nice job of fixing up that leg. In the past I have used BugGuide.net to get ID’s on spiders and other insects. Going to f/22 would mean a very slow ss and any movement caused by the spider moving or wind and photo just does not look good. Nice job on this one.

Dean, Great repair work! I wouldn’t have known if you didn’t mention it. The bottom leg works as a leading line. The only nit I would pick would be the dark spot on top left that draws attention away. I am not sure how you can fix it as it overlaps with a leg.