Fly Away

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While we were sailing along the western coast of Iceland , I had a chance to photograph these lava flows and the light was truly FLAT. The images were lacking in texture and contrast but there was an occasional bird which added some interest to a rather ho hum image. My post processing was very limited so as to retain that Flat look.

Specific Feedback

if any one would like to improve on the image be may guest but try to maintain the Flat Light

Technical Details

Sony a7rm3 with 100-400 lens

James, it seems to me you have met the challenge. The strong diagonal lines and the lines that the textures add, give the composition movement and interest. That spark of white from the bird is well-placed. Thanks for sharing this very interesting image.

James: I love the lines and textures in the rock faces. I’m conflicted somewhat about the bird. It’s kind of amorphous due to motion blur or insufficient DOF. I’m expecting to see more detail in it and even though it should be an important element I find it a little distracting. Marvelous scene though and I envy you the experience. >=))>