Focused Energy

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I wanted a longer shutter speed shot showing the dynamic nature of the wave and the movement of the ocean. Does it work for you?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Wave shot in the Gulf of Mexico a day after a big storm.

Technical Details

Nikon D500 w/ 70-200 @ 200
1/13 sec @ f/5.6
100 ISO
Stacked 3x & 6x ND
Tripod w/ Gimbal Head (unlocked, just for support)

Specific Feedback

Does it work for you?

5 Likes

Initial reaction? Pow! Bang! Or any other term reacting to the exploding wave! Outstanding capture Bill - in several ways. Of course the exploding wave, along with the wonderful texture created, is the star of the show - however I love the story, the progression of the entire wave. The wave is building, it’s graceful flow begins peaking and then terminates with the splash. Oh, and the colors… wow, just love the mix of blues, turquoise… just beautiful.

Initially… I also thought for a short second, about having the exploding wave pushed up against the edge and wanting to see more of it. But that was short lived as I think back to what I was saying about the progression of the wave; transitioning from elegance and grace to turmoil and an explosion of force.

Beautiful image!

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker

Thanks so much, Lon!

Initial reaction - perfect timing! Nailed the shutter speed to capture the dynamic nature of that wave and moving water.

1 Like

Silky, smooth color in motion. I’m really drawn to this. I want to jump into this inviting wave. Beautiful work!

1 Like

My initial reaction is a memory from summer days spent at Venice Beach where I would watch the walls of the wave build to this level before positioning myself for a bodysurf ride to the beach. Since this was a daily event for many summers it has left a lasting impression on my mind. I doubt this is what I’m going to read posted after this reply.

1 Like

Superb capture Bill. Excellent choice of shutter speed. This definitely works for me.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
that looks fantastic. The colors and the shutter speed are spot on.
The picture makes you want to grab the surfboard and head into the waves.

1 Like

Hi bill,
my first, immediate reaction was to crop a little from the top.
After a more relaxed view, I realized the dark band on the top attracted my eye and, somehow, gives an unnecessary conflict. (the same with some foam on the bottom part, but that is much less visible).
So, and hope you don’t mind, I would propose to crop just a tad both on top and the bottom.

A beautiful shot, perfectly timing, and shutter speed with some wonderful colors.

1 Like

Great. I love the colors, the division of the different bands of color and brightness over the image, and the exposure time. Long enough to smoothen the wave, but short enough to keep the dynamic.
Beautiful image.

1 Like

Hi Bill,

My initial visual reaction was:

• The pleasant artistic quality and appeal.
  • The semi-transparent wave showing the green color and the horizontal highlights in the bottom and on top of the curl.
  • The dramatic crashing motion showing the energy in the water.

My initial emotional reaction was:

• Remembering times I’ve sat at the edge of the water in a camping chair while surf fishing at Cape Hatteras, NC
  • Remembering how those waves would pull on the fishing line, then release it after the wave had crashed, then having to bring the line taut again.
  • Remembering seeing Spanish & King Mackerel in the curl as they were attempting to free themselves from the hook and line.

That 1/13sec shutter speed was perfect for capturing the action IMHO, the crashing water looks sharp, yet there’s linear motion blur.
The rest of the water is nice and smooth with a pleasing amount of texture.
The colors are great.

My only suggestion is to add a thrashing Spanish or King Mackerel to the curl (with a “Man-O-War” lure in it’s mouth) :smiley:

Really nice, I enjoyed viewing and reviewing this very much! :slight_smile:

BTW, Good title as well!

1 Like

Hey Bill. Love this scene. Reminds me of the Thanksgiving vacations to the beach that my family used to take. I think the composition is really nice too with the proper exposure to show action and power in the wave. It’s not easy to maintain peacefulness and action in the same photo but you’ve balanced it well

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov , @Eva_McDermott , @joaoquintela , @Merv , @David_Johnston , @Youssef_Ismail , @Jens_Ober , @Mark_Muller , @Han_Schutten

Thank you all for your comments; I truly appreciate every one of them.

Joao, thanks for your crop suggestion; I think your suggestion right on the mark. I don’t know why I didn’t see that myself!

Mervin, a nice big fish would be a great addition, but I would prefer it being a nice Blacktip Shark!

1 Like

You bet! Always happy to help out!

1 Like

Reaction: dynamic, beautiful and perfectly timed. Other than the suggested crop, I would not change a thing. Beautifully captured.

1 Like

Gorgeous, with such clean colors! I do wish for a composition that gives the wave room to end before the edge of the frame, but I realize the difficulty of making that happen. Maybe a slight burn on the top part of the splash left edge? The bottom part has that nice natural shading.

1 Like

Immediate response: Wow! Such beauty.
After reading comments, I am reminded of watching waves in Hawaii and trying to photograph them in an attempt to capture something close to this. I never accomplished it, but loved trying. I’m going out on a limb here and suggesting not only the slight crop at the top, but also, a crop on the bottom to remove the out-of-focus wave. If printed that part might be a distraction.

1 Like

My initial reaction is I would be proud to have this in a prominent place on my wall! I love it. I love the light, colors, shutter speed, comp - well everything about it. Your timing on capture was also excellent. I haven’t read your hidden text or any of the other comments yet - I’m going to do that now.

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman , @Diane_Miller , @Jim_Gavin , @Steve_Kennedy

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Diane, I agree with your “wave room to end” suggestion but the wave really fell apart quickly and wasn’t pretty about 4-6" past the point where I cropped it.

Jim, I agree and plan to crop some off both the top & bottom.

My thoughts echoed your word, “dynamic.” There is a real sense of motion and energy, but yet the wonderful color and motion blur add so much. I love that small area where the wave is about to break that had less motion and is rather clear; it is such a nice central focus. Well done on this Bill.

1 Like